8733: Call for Justice for Jean Dominique - WACC (fwd)

From: Charles Arthur <charlesarthur3@hotmail.com>

World Association for Christian Communication
AMSTERDAM DECLARATION

Call for Justice for Jean Dominique

The Directors of WACC's Central Committee, meeting 10th July 2001 in the
Netherlands, fully endorse the following declaration:

We, communications professionals, directors of media organisation and
members of NGOs from the Caribbean, participating in the third Congress of
the World Association for Christian Communication (WACC) in Amsterdam, 3-7
July 2001, standing in solidarity with the Haitian press, and outraged by
the murders on 3 April 2000 of the director of Radio Haiti Inter, the
journalist Jean Dominique, and the caretaker of that station, Jean-Claude
Louissaint:

1. Express our deepest concern at the innumerable obstacles to the legal
proceedings in this case;

2. Observe how the investigation surrounding this brutal double murder of 3
April 2000 is going round in circles and note the seeming lack of real
commitment on the part of the Haitian authorities to bring about due process
of law;

3. Urge the Minister of Justice, M. Garry Lissade, to create the necessary
material and security conditions to bring this case to court;

4. Call upon President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to give personal and public
support tot he judicial process until those guilty of this crime are
punished.

Finally, it is our conviction that justice for Jean Dominique and
Jean-Claude Louissaint will be a symbolic step towards ending the impunity
that has lasted too long in Haiti and will significantly improve the image
of the country in the eyes of the Caribbean and the world.

Forwarded by the Haiti Support Group

- solidarity with the Haitian people's struggle for justice, human rights
and participatory democracy since 1992

Web site: www.gn.apc.org/haitisupport