8836: Mackandal- haitian maroon (fwd)

From: Martine Jean <alix3@hotmail.com>

Hello everyone,

I'm doing research on Mackandal, an 18th century Haitian maroon. Mackandal
used poison and vodou ideologically to attempt to overthrow slavery and
colonialism in 18th century St Domingue, now Haiti.

Could anyone give me further information on this man. I am particularly
interested on sources related to him. If anyone knows any rare book on him,
please post it on the list for me.

Also, I gather that since he caused quite a tumult in St Domingue, there
must be some records of him in French archives. Anyone has any idea of how I
could have access to these presumed sources whether in American or French
special collections. If any of them come with web directories, please
forward them to me.

Thanks for your help

Martine