9017: Re: 9010: another relief shipment held up in Haitian customs (fwd)

From: Wilson Nau <Lloc17West@netscape.net>

Haiti can no longer afford to depend on food handouts to feed its
population.  A container of free dehydrated food might be a genuine
humanitarian gesture from some well meaning NGO's; but it can also be
seen as part of the continuing plot to keep the country from developing
its local agriculture, and to produce its own food for local
consumption.  With globalization being the adopted economic policy of
developed nations, governments from poor nations are facing the dilemma
of determing weather or not containers of free dehydrated food are
indeed what the people need.

Genuine humanitarian gestures like free food are important in emergency
situations, such as the flood in Mozambic of a few years ago, or after
the devastation of a hurricane or an earthquake, to alleviate the
ensuing temporary state of human misery.  But constant flooding of a
local economy with free food of one form or another is the best way to
keep a developing nation like Amity poor and dependent.

Reading Mr. Leiderman post, I am reminded of the saying that "It's
better to teach a hungry man how to fish than to relieve his hunger by
only giving him a fish to eat."  The reason is obvious.  If you teach
him how to fish he will not have to depend on you to feed himself.

Ayiti does not need containers of free dehydrated food for its people.
It needs instead the genuine help and emphatic understanding from
voluntary agricultural technicians and experts who can help in the
process of reforestation, agriculture, and animal husbandry.  Thank you.

Wilson Nau