9036: Re: Mission Groups are Tourists Incognito (fwd)

From: jacqualine labrom <ljacqui@haitiworld.com>

Well Lance its a nice idea but even for groups who are looking at Haiti for
future tourism the Ministry of Tourism doesn't help.

Two examples:

I had  a Swedish group of businessmen and women who came in May and did a 4
day tour to see if Haiti was somewhere they could send people on Incentive
Travel programs, and the Ministry couldn't even afford US$1500 for the bus
for 4 days!! The company had to pay it themselves and I provided all my
services free. The ATH gave either free or half priced rooms and hosted a
dinner for them to which the Min. of Tourism was invited, but no-one came!

Then I just had Vidéo Guide Hachette  - a French video film crew here who
had been promised by the Ambassadeur of Haiti in Paris that the Min. of
Tourism would provide a free machine and chauffeur for their time here.They
were filming Haiti for a section on the Greater Antilles - destined for the
French market - an important market for us. Well they didn't provide the
machine and chauffeur for free - I did!! and got told by one of the senior
members of the Tourism Ministry that I was stupid to be doing it for free -
I said I wanted Haiti to get some good publicity! The ATH - the Tourist
Assn. provided hald price rooms and were very helpful.

The Hachette people loved Haiti so much that they want to do a unique video
cassette on Haiti next Jacmel Carnival (55 minutes) - and they told the ATH
in no uncertain terms that if they did do the filming the ATH and/or the
Tourism Ministry would need to supply everything - machines, chauffeur,
guides, food, hotels, airplane for aerial shots etc. For the first time
since I've been here the ATH were very enthusiastic. So keep your fingers
crossed.

Jacqui Labrom

VOYAGES LUMIÈRE
'Journeys for the enlightened traveler'