9043: Re: 9040L Togetherness among Haitians and our friends (fwd)

From: MariLinc@aol.com

Corbetters,

I agree with Senou that the "big things in life" will only be accomplished on
behalf of Haiti if togetherness is actually practiced rather than just
"supported in principle".

Regardless of class, regardless of political persuasion, regardless of
whether someone is "natif-natal", "diaspora", "blan", "works within a
commercial setting or NGO setting", whatever.

Over time, we get to identify who is coming to the table with clean hands and
with unselfish motives.

The Good Book says: Ye shall know them by their fruits.

One thing in particular which struck me in Senou's note is the fact that
twice he referred to the possibility of online Haitian Creole translation.

In the first paragraph:

<< The world is getting smaller, today you don't have to speak German to read
a fabulous German article, the same applies to English, French, Spanish and
so on. In the near future with God will, we will be able to translate online
the Haitian Creole. >>

At the end:

<< NB: We shall support those who are working very hard to create a Creole
translator Online Translation ... >>

As far as I know, MIT2 is the only entity formally committed to creating such
a possibility. We've been bringing together the technical and linguistic
expertise and have been arranging with other companies who hold licenses to
the relevant technologies to work with us to expand the functionality of
those technologies to include Haitian Creole.

But, in today's economy and because of lack of proper capitalization, MIT2 is
like a fully-loaded bus that cannot leave the terminal because of lack of
fuel.

The team which has been assembled cannot be activated. Other than identifying
and assembling the team and advocating on behalf of Haitian Creole across
many disciplines and constituencies, MIT2 is now no further along the road to
producing the translation engines than it was 2 years ago.

No money! Not enough togetherness at the pocketbook level to get this bus on
the road!

And something we all need will continue being just that: a need, rather than
a reality.

Marilyn

Marilyn Mason, President & COO
Mason Integrated Technologies Ltd (MIT2)
P.O. Box 181015
Boston, Massachusetts 02118 USA
Tel: (+1) 617-247-8885
Fax: (+1) 617-262-8923