a998: Re:a989: can anyone offer some corroboration (fwd)

From: Dr Allen <drallen@periogroup.com>

    Nancy Laleau writes : " I personally believe that ANY former FAD'H
officer should have been considered tainted".
    If one excludes the former FADH from the police, should they also be
excluded from the senate, chamber of deputies or any role requiring high
moral and ethical standards? When the decision is made to reform the current
police force, should the current members be banned because of the bad
behavior of many members of the police force?  Following the same logic,
when the Lavalas are no longer in power, should they all be banned from
holding positions of trust because they have served a bad government?
    My answer is obviously no to all three questions.  Actions and policies
based on firm principles is really our biggest flaw in Haiti.  We react
emotionally and in the process deprive deserving people of their right to
make a contribution if that is their choice.
    I do believe that assessing the fitness of an individual to serve is to
be made on a case-by-case basis, as it was done in this situation. Of course
you run the risk of making mistakes as it probably happened in building the
police force.
    An example amongst many, the unfortunate article 291 of the current
constitution, banning the former duvalierists from power proved to be a
disaster for us.  Not that we needed them in power, we needed not exclude
them "en masse".  A good screening will eliminate the bad guys, but a
blanket elimination is quite severe, specially in a country like ours where
the pool of skilled individuals is limited.
    Joseph A. Allen DDS
    Miami, FL