a1171: Re: a1158: Re: a1152: Re: a1136: Yvon Neptune - Antoine and Poincy (fwd)

From: Dominic Cousineau <dcousineau@yahoo.com>

I got scared for a minute that everybody agreed that we could so easily
discard the consitution that is "supposed" to prevent Haiti from being
run like a dictatorship. Thank you Louissaint for speaking on that
matter. Beyond the issue of Mr. Neptune's nomination, the problem in
bending the constitution is that it sets a precedent that could lead to
many other issues where right and wrong will not be clear at all.

Who could the state then appoint to decide what is right or wrong? Of
course the judicial system, which should be obliged to respect the
constitution when taking a decision.

It is possible and even likely that the evolution of the country will
be slowed down by the fact that constitutional change are hard to make
but it will also be partly protected against arbitrairy and partisan
decisions.