a1311: Re: a1296: more from the "Arts Ghetto" (fwd)

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

We have no shortage of groups and individuals promoting Haitian arts in
New York City.  And I'm speaking exclusively of non-profits.  The problem
is the lack of a united effort.  In the last couple of years, the Haitian
Cultural Institute has tried to create a coalition, or at least a network
of groups and individuals, and we've talked about the establishment of a
cultural center.  But it's difficult.  Each group has to struggle to keep
itself afloat.  Cooperation would probably help us over the survival
hump, but it's difficult to pull off in a competitive economy.

We might begin to forge a coopertive effort over the internet.  Another
job for Guy Antoine?

Lois Wilcken, Ph.D.
La Troupe Makandal - The Center for Haitian Drum and Dance in New York
621 Rutland Road, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com
www.makandal.org