a1312: Re: a1303: additions to a1296 (fwd)

From:  Lois Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

Martha, you raise questions that folklorists, anthropologists, and
ethnomusicologists have been debating for years.

It is a fact that individuals in control of cultural support systems
(funding agencies, presentors, educational institutions) are often at
odds with artists about what should be preserved and promoted, and how
that should be done.  Generally (there are exceptions) they hold a very
romanticized, conservative view of tradition, while generally (there are
exceptions here, too) traditional artists think of themselves as
innovators.  I've observed this problem over and over again in my work
with Makandal.  My own view is that traditional art is just as dynamic as
modern art.  I know that the Haitian dancers and musicians with whom I
work want to break out and move their traditions forward.  I personally
support that desire, but we are too often constrained by what the funders
and the presentors want.  And so we find ourselves in another kind of
ghetto--the folk art ghetto.

As I said in my last post, one way out of this would be the creation of a
support system by and for Haitians, where Haitian artists would set their
own definitions, priorities, etc.  And those of us who are not Haitian
artists but want to assist can learn to listen.

Lois

La Troupe Makandal - The Center for Haitian Drum and Dance in New York
621 Rutland Road, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com
www.makandal.org