a1495: Re: a1308: Re: a1296: more from the "Arts Ghetto" (fwd)

From: LeGrace Benson <legrace@twcny.rr.com>

Going beyond Dewitt Peters; (from LeGrace Benson)
    Randall is right on the mark.  Peters was energeticand usually
enthusiastic. On records are his doubts about the artistic  value of Hectors
Hypppolitie's work, and he seems only to have been convinced by (a.) the
words of prestigious Andre Breton, (b) the positive response of the director
of the British American Gallery who was, (I believe) the first to sell the
works sent form Centre d'Art.

In determining "what is needed" now, there may be any number of viable
possibilities, but they should be Haitian in genesis, whether in Haiti
itself or in Diaspora.

It has been my observation, however, that many Haitians see Haitian art and
craft through the lens provided by US writers. For a Haitian point of view
see the recent book by Gerald Alexis, PEINTRES HAITIENS. For an historical
point of view by a Haitian see Michel-Philippe Lerebours, HAITI et ses
PEINTRES.   For the Haitian point of view on sculpture, see various issues
of CONJONCTION where sculptors and sculpture are presented and discussed.

As an aside, some of the completary money systems may be promising for
moving Haitian art into better circulation both inside and outside the
country.

     legrace@twcny.rr.com