a1963: U.S. wants expanded role for Bahamas Defence Force (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

U.S. wants expanded role for Defence Force

Tuesday, May 7, 2002 by Keva Lightbourne

Nassau Guardian Staff Reporter

The Royal Bahamas Defence Force may be called upon to play a "much more
active role" in the fight against illegal immigrants.

United States Ambassador J. Richard Blankenship said yesterday he will be
working with the new Progressive Liberal Party Government with a view to
having the Royal Bahamas Defence Force deployed on a regular basis with
American Coast Guard cutters.

Blankenship was speaking at a press conference held at the United States
Embassy to congratulate newly-elected Prime Minister Perry Christie and the
Progressive Liberal Party on their May 2 general election victory.

"We recognised the problem in Haiti and we recognised that immigrants leaving
Haiti is because of conditions there, but that is a Haitian problem and they
must solve their problems," he said.

Blankenship claimed that Haitian president Jean Bertrand Aristide owes his
people more than he has delivered. And, he said, until he delivers on his
promises, people will continue to leave.

"But we must continue our vigilance, because not only does illegal
immigration prove to be a burden in The Bahamas, it proves to be a burden on
the Dominican Republic and other countries as well.

"We will be stressing cooperation and additional effort on the part of the
Defence Force in that regard," Blankenship added.

Just yesterday, the RBDF apprehended a total of 13 Haitian immigrants in two
separate incidents.

According to a release from the Defence Force, while on routine patrol at 8
a.m., Patrol craft HMBS P-110 under the command of the Harbour Patrol Unit,
spotted a 45-foot Haitian wooden sloop named "Beat Night of the Sea" just off
East End Point, in the vicinity of Athol Island.

After a search of the vessel, the boarding team discovered seven male
immigrants on board. They apparently did not possess the necessary documents
to enter the country, and were subsequently turned over to Immigration
authorities for further processing.

Later at 9:40 a.m., the patrol craft also boarded a 47-foot wooden sloop
named "Miss Lucie", just off the Montagu Bay area. After further
investigation, six Haitian immigrants were found onboard.

The five males and one female also did not have the proper documents to enter
the country, and were also turned over Immigration authorities for processing.

Additionally, last Thursday, while on routine patrol at 7.00 a.m., HMBS P-41
of the Harbour Patrol Unit, intercepted a 45-foot white and green Haitian
wooden sloop named "Yolli."

After a search of the vessel, the boarding team discovered the Haitian
immigrants, six males and one female. They did not have the necessary
documents to enter the country, and were subsequently apprehended and turned
over to Immigration authorities.