a1970: BBC: Haiti: Senator refuses to name possible suspects in death of his bodyguard (fwd)

From: Robert Benodin <r.benodin@worldnet.att.net>

Haiti: Senator refuses to name possible suspects in death of his bodyguard
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; May 8, 2002

According to what we have heard, the incident in which a bodyguard of
Senator Pierre Sancon Prince was killed took place when the contested
senator [i.e. he was elected in the disputed elections of 21 May 2000] was
attempting to reopen the doors of the Cayes-Jacmel town hall. The interior
minister had closed this town hall. Prince does not want to accuse the
sector responsible for this act yet. But his partisans already point to some
senators. Lesly Ambroise in Jacmel reports the following:
[Ambroise - recording, in Creole] This regrettable incident took place when
Senator Prince, who is from Cayes-Jacmel, was trying to reopen the doors of
the twon hall with the help of his team on the night of 6 to 7 May. That
action provoked the anger of the populace, who have been protesting against
the mayor for a long time. In a statement to the press, Prince accuses the
Fas A Fas [Face to Face] political group in Cayes-Jacmel as the main group
that has joined with a particular sector of the Lavalas Family in order to
kill him.
[Prince] It was the act of professionals. It is not a simple thing.
According to what one of the militants said the day before, it is
Port-au-Prince that is at work. They even mention names of certain leaders.
But I shall not reveal those names now. Later on, depending on how the case
is handled, I may reveal to the judiciary the names of those people who are
working against me.
[Ambroise] Are they with the Lavalas government?
[Prince] Yes, some of them. But that group that is against the mayor is not
a Lavalas group. It is a group called Fas A Fas.
[Ambroise] Don't you think that it was rather the duty of the interior
minister to take care of that case, to try to solve the problem instead of
you doing it? Why did you have to intervene in that affair?
[Prince] I am from Cayes-Jacmel. I was always there as a bridge. I was
trying to establish a dialogue between the people who are from the communal
sections and who normally hold meetings in my house, and the people who live
in the village who are against the mayor...
Source: Radio Metropole, Port-au-Prince, in French 1700 gmt 7 May 02
/¸ BBC Monitoring
/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.