12035: BBC: Haiti: Unidentified individuals set fire to home of Senator Prince's mother (fwd)

From: Robert Benodin <r.benodin@worldnet.att.net>

Haiti: Unidentified individuals set fire to home of Senator Prince's mother
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; May 14, 2002

Unidentified individuals set fire this morning [13 May] to the house of
Dieula Prince, mother of Senator Pierre Sancon Prince. Dieula Prince, who is
currently in Port-au-Prince, says she used to receive threats from a member
of the people's organization called Face to Face. Finally, she had to leave
the Cayes-Jacmel area in order to take refuge in Port-au-Prince. But, on the
night of 12-13 May, her house was burnt along with everything inside it. She
made the following statements to Radio Vision 2000 [this channel]:
[Dieula Prince - recording] The incident was serious. After they [not
further identified] attacked my son, whom they almost killed, they killed
his bodyguard. During the night, they came and fired shots in my
neighbourhood. When I got up the next morning, I told myself that I would
not stay. I took my son and left. However, one of the demonstrators met me
at the Teleco [office], where my son has many supporters.
At the time of the demonstration, they closed the Teleco office. They said:
Close the office. Then the person who was at the office closed it. Then, I
said that the Teleco office does not belong to the government. Nor does it
belong to the mayor. How is it that the Teleco is closed, which would make
it impossible for us to use it if we wanted to send a message. Then, the
demonstrators came to the Teleco office and told me: Get out, go
immediately. I started to cry and the police came and told me to go home.
Then, I went home...
Source: Radio Vision 2000, Port-au-Prince, in Creole 1700 gmt 13 May 02
/¸ BBC Monitoring