12354: Re: 12336: Re: 12336: Re: 12333: Statues to honor Haitian soldiers (fwd)

From: Maxmanigat@aol.com

Dear Jean Saint-Vil,

We are coming from two different points of view. I am talking history. I have
to respect the facts. The official name of the Free People of Color
contingent was: " Volontaires de Saint-Domingue". If you want to make them
Africans you may have good reasons for that as you explained but this is not
how nationality is determined.
Nationality is determined by a law.

You surely are aware of the class/quasi-caste system in Saint-Domingue, in
those days, where race, colors and condition were very important . Two races,
three colors, two conditions, three quasi-castes and two classes. A complex
society indeed. You may also remember the title of the book by professor Carl
Degler, comparing slavery and race relations in Brazil and the U.S.A. :
"Neither Black Nor White". The title refers to the way mulattoes are seen in
Brazil. The same could be said of the mulattoes in Saint-Domingue. Dessalines
was well aware of that problem I call "colorism", which still plagues Haiti,
when he declared that officially all "Haytians will be known as Blacks".

Call those "Volontaires" Africans if you want but the study of Saint-Domingue
society tells us otherwise. Do you know that certains of those volunteers
went back to Saint-Domingue after Savannah but preferred to return to live in
exile in the U.S. when Haitian independence was proclaimed?

Kenbe!

Max Manigat