12355: More Films at TAP TAP (fwd)

From: crowingrooster@juno.com

Crowing Rooster Arts
Presents
Films at TAP TAP

World Premiere!

Friday 21 June

"PAWOL GRAN MOUN" 2002
Directed by David Belle
In Creole with English subtitles
60 minutes

Screenings at 7pm and 9pm
Filmmaker will be present.

"Pawol Gran Moun" or "Words of the Elders" is the first part in a number
of documentaries about traditional culture that Crowing Rooster Arts is
currently producing in Haiti.  This series aims to capture the lives,
memories and traditions of Haiti's older generations during a time when
the country's youth increasingly embraces foreign values and culture.

As traditional life and memory seem to be more and more jeopardized
everywhere in the world, we hope that "Pawol Gran Moun" will serve as a
reminder that the wisdom and knowledge of our elders is essential to both
our history and our future.

Saturday 22 June

7pm
"PAWOL GRAN MOUN"
Filmmaker will be present

The screening will be followed by Manno Charlemagne and Band
Sets at 8:30pm and 10pm

Sunday 23 June

Hommage a Martha Jean-Claude

6pm
"SIMPARELE" 1972
Director: Humberto Solas
30 minutes
In Creole and Spanish

An extraordinary virtuoso performance by Martha in her prime directed by
Cuban filmmaker Humberto Solas.
Not to be missed!

7pm
"FANM 2 ZILE" 2000

Directed by Richard Mirabal Jean-Claude (Martha's son)
Produced by the Martha Jean-Claude Foundation and Crowing Rooster Arts
In Creole

Fanm 2 Zile (Woman of Two Islands) is a documentary about the life and
work of the legendary singer, Martha Jean-Claude.  Together with her
friend, Emerante de Pradines, the daughter of the great Candio, Martha
was the first to explore and popularize the traditional melodies and
vodou rhythms of Haiti, thus creating the original "Mizik Racine" or
"Roots Music."

Martha, also a poet, has written the words and music to many original
songs.  In Cuba her name is a much-loved household word.  In Haiti she is
a legend.

8:30pm
"SE JODI NOU PA WE" 1996

Produced and directed by Katharine Kean
Narration: Jean-Claude Martineau
36 minutes
In Creole

Filmmaker will be present

"Se Jodi Nou Pa We" (Long Time-No See, a Musical Journey)
Richard Morse and his vodou rock band tour Cuba with the Martha
Jean-Claude Foundation.

Martha begins to realize her dream: "My most important idea is to unite
these two peoples-and I know that between them there will be love.  I
cannot ask for more."

9:30pm
"SIMPARELE"

10:00PM