12526: Re:12470:Arthur on the USAID, CNO and Dominique -Dorce comments (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 7/4/02 8:09:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Tttnhm@aol.com
writes (quoting Haiti Progres):

<< ".the "Haitian" National Council of Electoral Observation (CNO) (is) headed
by Léopold Berlanger, who is director of the USAID-funded Radio Vision 2000,
a frequent recipient of National Endowment for Democracy grants, and a
long-time agent of Washington (see Haïti Progrès, Vol. 17, No. 43, Jan. 12,
2000). Last week, Jean Dominique revealed over the airwaves of Radio Haiti
Inter that Provisional Electoral Council (CEP) president Léon Manus signed an
accord with Berlanger on Feb. 25, without the knowledge of any other CEP
members. The deal would allow Berlanger's CNO to pick not only the CEP's
accredited election observers but also the members of the registration
stations, voting stations, and the supervisors."

Now Charles Arthur:
Jean Dominique's last editorial was precisely to denounce Berlanger and the
 secret accord which made the entirely self-appointed CNO a final arbiter of
 any upcoming elections." >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Of course this is not the spin we have been treated to by the upstanding
group of mainstream journalists who cover this ongoing story.  And it is not
what most of us talk about on this list when bringing up the late and
respected Jean Dominique.  I wish that Haitians would stand together for
Haiti and not for personal aggrandizement.  If they did, perhaps they could
make the US lose interest and go somewhere else to meddle in affairs of
state.  Please let me quote the speech made by George A. O Alleyne, Director
PAHO to the Haitian Government (sorry I don't have the post number):
"Mr. President before I comment on our institutional links and
responsibilities that translate into solidarity with Haiti and the Haitian
people, allow me to be personal and express my admiration for what the
Haitian people stand for and what you have done. We who come from this part
of the world, have had it burned into our minds from childhood the debt we
owe the Haitian people who lit the torch of independence that may have
flickered but always shone brightly for us in the Caribbean."
",,,"
"Many of us dream that Haiti will recapture that spirit of cohesive action to
affront the multiple problems that are now the source of your delayed
development. Many of us dream that in the search for things that may unite
Haitians, we will not have to look for the external scourge of oppression and
human indignity that characterized the struggle of almost 200 years ago. Many
of us like myself, believe that there are issues around which there can be
unity of effort and purpose and whose importance rival the problems of 200
years ago."
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I share Mr. Alleyne's vision and hope for Haiti.  And I share Charles
Arthur's concern that we may have gone astray in our zeal to see justice done
in Jean Dominique's case.  If Haitians say they love their country then let
them heal the wounds and come together, in democracy.  Let Aristide finish
his term.  Let the next elections decide who will be the next leader of
Haiti's government.  Work in the system.  Work towards the common goal of
healing the great country of Haiti.  Great because of her history of
independence and courage and the will and hope of her people.  You can rise
together or sink apart.  Solidarity and Dignity!

with much hope,

Kathy Dorce~