13199: RE: 13194: Davis replies to Corbett & Semou on lougarou & faith (fwd)

From: Karen F. Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

Corbett emphasizes a distinction between faith and scientific evidence.
However, there is another issue here. If, indeed, any kind of god, goddess,
spirit, angel, devil, lougarou, zombie, leprechaun, fairy, demon, etc. truly
exists--they by definition exist in the SUPERnatural realm, not in the
natural realm. This is not too unlike other SUPERnatural abstractions we use
every day such as society, religion, faith, and music. We can create
definitions, and point to natural phenomena that we SAY is the result or
"proof" of the true existence or being-ness of these abstractions, but they
have no tangible, measurable, or provable body. If they did, they's be
natural, not spiritual.
That is the defined nature of the SUPERnatural or EXTRAsensory.
Karen

Karen F. Dimanche Davis
Associate Professor and Head, Humanities Department
Marygrove College
Detroit, Michigan 48221
313-927-1352
kdavis@marygrove.edu