13230: Re: 13228: Hyppolite comments on Chamberlain posts (news item): Haiti minister resigns, criticizes government (fwd)

From: Hyppolite Pierre <hpierre@irsp.org>

I read Chamberlain's posting of Bazin's resignation with great interest.
Although I read the posting of such on Metropole's website earlier today,
this one is more detailed and sheds better light on one important issue
here.

Let's first of all hope that if Bazin's party (the MIDH) makes a more or
less substantial win in the next elections, that they do not behave like the
obstructionists of the 46th OPL-dominated legislature. After all, if one
relies on Bazin's apparent political character, and if past history is any
indication, they (from the MIDH) should behave like matured politicians who
focus on the issues and help Haiti get out of the nasty marass that it is
in.

Equally important to me is the posting by our beloved Senou. What the
Convergence (now practically defunct) should learn from their very recent
experience (political debacle) is this. If you want to zero-in on a
government, and show its weaknesses, you must become part of the "process".
That is exactly what Bazin has been able to do here in his resignation
speech (read Greg's press release below). And I can almost guarantee you
that, although I don't live in Haiti, the MIDH probably, more likely than
not, has a much better chance to challenge the government on issues, and get
the ears of the population because they can give him a minimum of credit.

It is not by bypassing the "process", that you will become prezidan, or
Minis, or Senatè. It is by jumping at the right opportunity when it arises
to become part of the process, that you will earn the respect and trust of
the people, rich and poor. It is not by personalizing a political process
that has always, ALWAYS been so personalized, (the obsession with Aristide)
that you will gain at least my trust, let alone the vast majority of the
Haitian people. This has been Senou, Joseph Alfred, the tragic mistake of an
opposition too eager to reside in the National Palace.

Let's just hope that this time when all dusts are settled, that we have a
clean election, a decent and more constructive opposition in Parliament so
we can truly begin to attain the peace that we have been all so sorely
hoping for since February 7, 1986. After all, we're seriously approaching
2004.

Hyppolite Pierre
IRSP
http://www.irsp.org