13247: Lubienski-- Poles in Haiti

maxlub@yahoo.com

My name is Maciej Lubienski, i am a historian from Poland. A month
ago i went with my girlfriend to Cazale. I agree with Stewart King
that there is not much left there if you look for "polish evidence".
I also agree with his sociological argument that in rural societies
women keep traditions and that explains lack of polish evidence there,
i think that polish consciousness reappeared after the pope´s visit
to Haiti. It seems that they have quiete vague idea of what Poland
really is. when we said we were from Poland and did not speak creole
one man was very surprised and said - "if you are from Poland why zou
do not speak creole",

Pachonski´s book about Poles in Haiti is quite sceptical about the
present day "polish consciousness" - but it was published before
polish it to Haiti. Lonely planet guidebook states that people dance
polish dances - i think it is wishfull thinking - knowing about
polish ancestors you can easily interprete any thing which seems
original as polish contribiution to the local culture

Do you know if here is any socio-historical study about Cazale

maciej lubienski