13338: Wilson posts Re: Danger in Haiti

From: riwilson <RIWILSON@maf.org>

     I agree with Bob.

     I have been living and working in Haiti for 6 1/2 months a year for
     the past five years.  There is always news from the embassy about the
     danger of traveling in Haiti.  But one must undrstand that it is their
     job to post that warning, then they can say, "See, we warned you."
     should anything happen.

     I have, at various times traveled in all the areas that I received
     warnings against going to with no apparent danger.  Perhaps i was too
     stupid or unconscious to realize I was in danger.  But I don't think
     so.  I usually travel via tap-tap or kamyon and have never found even
     any impolite conduct or comments.

     I do warn people to pay attention to where you are and what is going
     on.  If you see a large crowd (not including normal traffic jams and
     blokis') turn around and go another way.  If there is known fighting
     and manifestations don't go there unless you have to do so.

     Last year it took me 3 hours to make a twenty minute drive from the
     airport in Port-au-Prince to the house where I was staying.  Why?  Two
     main routes were blocked because the charismatic Catholics were having
     their annual convention; road construction and bad roads near Batimat;
     and a third route was blocked due to a gun battle that killed some
     people.  But all this is normal.

     The greatest danger most people face is not from violence but from
     things they may have little control over, e.g. mosquitoes bearing
     malaria and dengue fever; the water supply untreated, etc.

     But even this is not a problem if one prepares ahead.  I keep my
     clothes on (including long sleeved shirts) to discourage the
     mosquites, keep fans blowing on me at night (when there is
     electricity) becasue mosquitoes don't fly well in a breeze, and use
     insect repellant with DEET; I carry my own treated water (which I
     treat myself) and when I cannot do this I carry Lugol's solution
     (water based iodine which I put in any untreated water or water I am
     unsure of it's quality).

     Bob, I think you are quit right to suggest the thought pattern has
     changed in America.  We have lost our sense of adventure and desire to
     challenge the unknown.  The greatest question among many young people
     I meet getting ready to go out into the work force is, " What are the
     benefits?  What are your retirment plans?"

     I wonder how long it would have taken the pioneers and settlers to get
     to California if they had asked these questions first, or demanded
     that there be governemtnal gaurantees of safety and security before
     they hitched up their teams to go out into the unknown?  Perhaps we
     are paying the price that comes with our increase technology and ease
     of living.  I wonder if that price will prove to be too high
     ultimately?

     Richard Wilson

----- End forwarded message -----