13523: Nlbo: for Haitian Faith Leaders (fwd)

From: Nlbo@aol.com

As I read the message regarding Question # 2 ( in Massachusetts) , I would
like to suggest that  the faith leaders, particurlarly priests and pastors
"get on board" with

helping the Haitians participate in the U.S political process, in this case

voting and paying attention to the candidates' agendas.

I was in a Catholic parish in  Brookyn recently and noticed among many

colorful posters that indicate this church's community participation, a  big

red poster entitled" Vote".

I hope in the following Sundays,  pastors and priests in Massachusetts let
their Haitian

parishioners know the impact that #2 will have on them since the children who

will be directly affected by this bill are recent sons and daughters  of

recent immigrants who are the Haitian churches primary bethren. Bilingual
education needs reform not dismantling.

I would refer Catholic lay and religious ministers to the US conference of

bishops' document on Faithful Citizenship: Civic Responsibility fo a New

Millenium and #1915 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church which states " as

far as possible citizens should take an active part in public life.

Website for the bishops' conference  document is www.

nccbuscc.org/faithfulcitizenship/citizenship.htm

Both catholic and protestants can read scriptural texts like Exodus 22:20,

Matthew 23:23, Matthew 5:6, 9 or 6-12, John 10:10

In other words, encouraging the Haitian church goers to participate in the

community and political life of the United States is a Christian duty.
Nekita