13528: Charles comments on 13510 and 13516 (fwd)

From: Philippe Charles <pcharles@us.ibm.com>

A good friend of mine who is also on the Corbett list sent me the following
note regarding 13510 which I had posted:

    > u dont beleive that tripe do you ???
    > there are good points in it - but come on.....
    > that was a staged exodus ??
    > I suppose the coup attempt was staged as well ??

Part of my reply to him reads:

    > ...In fact, note that I was very careful to say that it was an
"opinion"
    > piece. I hope that folks in Corbettland don't assume that posting an
    > article automatically means that you share the opinion.
    > A propos, I just read a story from Sun-Sentinel (posted on the list)
    > stating that the trip was organized by a whole town and not
smugglers...

The article I was referring to above is 13516. I was very impressed by how
enterprising the people of that village were. It would be a shame for Haiti
lose them. I was struck, in particular, by the following statement from
Welby:

    > "There wasn't a captain, or a crew really," said Welby.
    > "In any effort like this, leaders emerge, people take
    > charge. Each of us decided who would stay,
    > and who would go. We all know how to pilot a boat."

--philippe