13581: Corbett: Current Haiti and Fatton's book

>From Bob Corbett

Folks, I have had many notes from lots of you asking me about my
trip to Haiti and what I have come to think about Haiti today.  It is
with DEEP hesitation and reservation that I say much about that.  This for
several reasons:

1.  While I read a great deal -- I am the only person who really has to
read EVERY piece that is posted on this list -- I do not put myself
forward as especially politically astude.  I am no authority.

2.  I mainly refrain from talking about Haitian politics.

3.  I come to all politics with enormous skepticism.  I tend to not
trust political solutions to problems, but lean more to seeing "history"
shape our futures, not political acts.  That's a complex issue that
doesn't concern my views of Haiti, but my general view of history and
politics and I'm very happy to discuss that issue with any who might
wish OFF THIS LIST since it's not about Haiti.

Despite all of this, I did end up finding a book that dealt with many
issues which I have been thinking about for the past 20 years, and
which helped me clarify my own views more than ever before.  This book
is the Robert Fatton book, Haiti's Predatory Republic, a very very long
review of which I posted a few minutes ago and which can be found on
my web site at:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/personal/reading/fatton-predatory.html

------------------------

However, both in response to the many who have asked, and to bare myself
to those of you who will want to criticize my views, I will summarize
some conclusions below.  My arguments and reasons for these views are
mostly summarized in the review I just posted, so I will simply post some
short assertions for your consideration and your criticism.

1.  Haiti today is in a desperate sitaution and the great mass of
people are suffering in horrible life situations.  It is the plight of
these desperate people which moves me more than anything else.
What is most tragic about Haiti is not its politics, but the daily
suffering, the lack of food, water, medical help, sanitation,
transportation and employment which is the great tragedy of the
great mass of Haitian people.

The politicians and their battles are TRIVIAL in comparison.

2.  Haiti has always had a "leader"complex.  It seems to want or need
a major leader figure.  This fact of Haiti's history seems to me one of
the key detriments to the positive growth of Haiti.

3.  Haiti is at a crux where it needs a transition from authoritarian rule
to rule of a democratic constitutional government.

4.  It will NEVER have this until there is a sizeable and powerful middle
and working class that can struggle for power on some even basis with
the elite and government classes.

5.  In 1990 Haiti may well have needed the charismatic leadership and
positive dreams of President Aristide, but today, he is no longer that
leader, nor is that what Haiti needs.  More than anything it needs for
him to live out his term within the law of Haiti and for there to be
a fair and non-violent transition of power to new leadership when his
term is over.

6.  Haiti is desperate for economic development and that is more important
that political development and even the pre-condition for postive
political development.

7.  Haiti is caught in a horrible international situation in which what
is best for Haiti -- it's own economic development in whatever ways it
has at its disposal are in conflict with the needs and desires of the
international community, especially the U.S. which is powerfully intent
on bringing EVERY nation, Haiti as well, into line with the U.S. led
global economy.  Thus Haiti is likely to be in a nearly impossible
situation in relation to the external world.

Moaning and growning about this will do no good.  That power is there and
will remain what it is.  Haiti just has to go forward with that giant
monkey on its back.

8. Haiti's Diaspora is critical to any positive growth.  The Diaspora
could be a source of economic investment in Haiti, not merely the
(much needed) funds folks remit to families in Haiti.

9.  Economic development sponsored by NGOs which have the courage and
power to not be controlled by U.S. policy offer some hope to Haiti.

10.  The strongest hope for economic development in Haiti lies in
tourism and off-shore factories which could provide much needed labor
for those masses who only eat irregularly for lack of a job.

11.  The sum of 1-10 suggest that the situation in Haiti is nearly
hopeless, but despite that Haitians and others who care about Haiti must
act AS THOUGH THERE WERE HOPE, even if one cannot rationally point to that
hope.  Such ACTS are needed -- those acts "as if" there were hope.  But
it is not in anyone's interest to not face the hard facts of the virtual
hopelessness of the  situation.  Such knowledge is in no way contrary to
the ability to act "as if."

Oh my, I doubt there are many I have not offened with either what I say
or the wrong-headedness of it.  But, I welcome discussion of these
propositions, and suggest the arguments in support of most of the
propositions are contained within the review I posted a few minutes ago.