13594: Senou: The Haitian Refugee & the Diaspora (fwd)

From: Senou <senou@yahoo.com>

Thursday, November 07, 2002

The Haitian Refugee & the Diaspora

A few years ago, there were problems between Mexico
and the United States, but the U.S. administration has
shifted its policy toward Mexico since the last
election. There is a warm relationship between Vicente
Fox, the Mexican president, and the Bush
administration. Last December, the Bush administration
shifted its policy toward Haiti also. That shift does
not mean that Haitians and Americans are not friends.
We are friends. The problem exists between two
governments, not between individual people.
A few years ago, Aristide’s Administration enjoyed an
unconditional support from the Clinton administration,
but Aristide’s administration did not keep their word.
Aristide signed an eight-point agreement with the
Clinton administration before he left office. Even
after the change of power, President Bush and the U.S.
Secretary of States, General Collin Powell said that
they would honor that agreement. President Clinton had
gone against his own administration, the CIA, and the
FBI to return the embattled the Haitian president to
power. This was a favor and he did not have to do it.
If George W. Bush Senior, former president, were
re-elected the Haitian president would have remained
in exile indefinitely.

Jamaica is smaller than Haiti, but its economy is in
pretty good shape by the region standard. Dominican
Republic, Bahamas, St Lucia, Barbados are also small
countries with a fair economy. Is the treatment of the
Haitian refugees directly linked to the color of their
skin? No, of course not! Jamaican and Bahamian
immigrants live here too and most of them are black.
Let’s go a step further. The Cuban refugees are of
light and dark complexions, and they are accepted
equally. Therefore, it is not a race is not a factor.
Most Haitians entering the US are economic refugees,
not political. 99% of those who are political refugees
are granted political asylum, such as Judge Gassant,
the judge of Saint Marc, and so on.
This is a very sensitive issue and we let our passion
dictate our behavior.
Question: Does Haiti have a democratic government?
Miami staged various public demonstrations against the
Duvalier regime and during the coup d’etat. It has
appeared that the Lavalas regime enjoys more support
in Miami than its native land. So, if you believe that
the Lavalas government is legitimate and
democratically elected, then Haiti has a democratic
regime and the Haitians are economic refugees not
political refugees.
It is unfortunate that the U.S. administration is
sending the latest refugee back to Haiti. We know life
will be tougher for them; they sold their house, their
farms or borrow money from friends with the
expectation to repay them back. This is another story.

As for those Haitians who had taken to the streets in
Miami, NY, and other places. I question how many of
them are U.S. citizens or naturalized? How many of
them can vote? I strongly believe if many of the
Haitians had naturalized and were registered to vote
the politicians would have listened to their pleas. It
is about time to stop fooling people. After 25 years
in the U.S. the Haitians should have become American
citizen and register to vote. Without any doubt if
250,000 Haitians had registered to vote in South
Florida, the outcome of that election could have been
different. Whatever state you live in, if 250,000
registered voters speak out, united for a common cause
the candidate will listen and will try his/her best to
satisfy their demand.
Next election is two years from now, if you want to
make a statement, you must become a Haitian-American,
register to vote, and put people who are sensitive to
your cause in office.
My friends, you have to deal with the reality and stop
acting. If you want to become an actor go to
Hollywood! It is not the first time nor the last time
refugee will be sent back to Haiti. Each group defends
its own interest!
My friends, the refugee issue is not going to go away
anytime soon. If you really want to help the Haitian
refugee, you must first become naturalized. Then you
must register to vote but more importantly you must
vote for those who are sensitive to your cause. We
failed to protect our Haitian brothers and sisters. If
Jeff Bush had known that 300,000 Haitians could have
voted against him and sent him to an early retirement,
he would have called his brother President Bush.
Welcome to the American politic …
Also you could have played a major role in influencing
the U.S. policy toward Haiti. Instead, you are looking
for a favor; someone with goodwill who might be
willing to sponsor your cause. My friends, if you
don’t vote which mean you do not do your civic duty,
you don’t count! So, do not complain.

You know there is no friendship between the Lavalas
and the Bush Administration. Sadly, Washington and
Port-au-Prince are playing hardball and Haitian people
are caught in the middle. Two years from now President
Bush if not re-elected may be out of power and his
Haitian counterpart may have one more year to go or be
forced out; nobody knows. The economic condition of
Haiti is alarming; the Lavalas government had not
created a single job since 1994. The unemployment rate
in Haiti is over 60%, which mean anything can happen.
More people are going to try to escape this harsh
misery that has been going on in Haiti since 1977
without interruption. The poor Haitian people have two
choices: Die from hunger and starvation or risk their
lives in the shack-infested water.
	If Haiti wants to eliminate these two intolerable and
unacceptable choices, they must form a coalition
government, organize a free and fair election, and
respect the democratic principles. I strongly believe
the United States of America, Canada, Mexico, Bahamas,
Jamaica, South Africa, and the Haitian nationals who
are currently living in the U.S., Canada, France,
Haiti and so on can assist in putting in place a
democratic regime in Haiti.

Joseph Alfred, Educator
P.O. BOX 334
Smyrna GA 30081