13748: Saint-Vil adds to Vilaire's response to Pina (fwd)

From: Jean Saint-Vil <jafrikayiti@hotmail.com>

Although I concur with Marx Villaire's sound assessment that one would be a
fool to dismiss the events of Cap-Haitien as unimportant, I must say that it
is equally important to look at these events in context.

Obviously, there is popular discontent in the country and the government's
failure to deliver on the important promise of "lapè nan tèt, lapè nan vèt"
(peace of the mind, peace in the belly) is at the heart of this genuine
popular discontent. And, the goverment has better listen to people's
legitimate demands and seek to adress them to the best of its ability ASAP.
This is certainly not the right time to have more corruption stories (ti
mimi - gwo mimi) flying left and right.

HOWEVER!

It is also important that people who are truly interested in Haiti's
wellbeing, beyond Lavalas, Convergence and/or their personal NGO.... look at
the context in which this genuine popular discontent is being fed, enlarged,
co-opted, directed, used, manipulated by the PUHS (Powers Undermining
Haitian Sovereingty).

1)It is obvious enough how the IRI-founded political gang (Convergence) and
accolytes are using the university and churches to feed a popular
uprising....which they hope will - somehow end in their favour - i.e. topple
President Aristide and have one of them inherit to presidency in his stead.

2)The events of Haiti bear an eerie resemblance to those unfolding in
Venezuela. What are the connections?

3)Reports of the latest events which unfolded in Petit-Goâve lead us to
believe this irresponsible game being played by foreign as well as Haitian
politicians will sooner rather than later lead to serious deadly
cofrontations between the police and the most vulnerable members of Haitian
society

4) Such incidents will in turn be used as much needed justification for the
eager-to-enter-into-action OAS (US) military (technical) force which
Arisitide has been "asked to ask for" (to train the police, secure
democratic elections.... - of course!)

I know many on this list are too rational and pragmatic to entertain such
projections. So, weeks from now, we shall continue to read the news
bulletins and count the bodies as they are reported to surface in Site
Solèy, Ti Gwav, Bèlè, Kafoufèy.... We shall continue to wonder if the true
number of dead is 5 as reported by AHP, 50 by the Boston Globe, or 5000 by
the Miami Herald...and we shall continue to analyze whether the Lavalas
government is 5%, 50% or 95% responsible for the deteriorating situation....

and, of course, Roger Noriega will continue to make speeches about the
determination of the Friends of Haiti to help Haiti - whether she likes it
or not.

What if, as the people rise, they decide this time around they hall not be
the only ones to count bodies in their ranks?

Jafrikayiti
"Vwazen, lakay nan blakawout se vre. Men mwen pa t janm mande ou fè pitit
mwen kado brikè pou nwèl"