13776: RE: Re: How they treat Haitians reflects a national standard (fwd)

From: Carl Fombrun <mail@fombrun.com>

TO: "LE COIN DE CARL PARLANT DE TOUT ET DE RIEN"
    Radio Carnivale, WRHB 1020 AM, Miami Florida
    Broadcast on November 22, 2002

Carl,

The issues that we face in Haiti and America are dual problems, actually
it
is a paradox. We left a country we would very much like to live in and
the
older we become the more tangled the issues become.  Example.  The force
and
energy we expend here in the US drains the ideas and creativity the old
country desperately needs, however as men single or married, if married
it
becomes more complex.  The issue in returning becomes how to protect
yourself and your family in a lawless land, Haiti and be able to
promulgate
prosperity without succumbing to bandits or politics.  Or being here in
the
US we can grow comfortable in the leisure of life only to be awakened
when
thrust into the limelight.  Example refugees.
I like challenges and dislike complacency but as always when my eyes
turn
toward Haiti there are so many questions amid the impossibilities one
becomes paralyzed by the unknown.  But I believe that in numbers there
is
strength and strength lives on in the form of spirit, prayer and
advancement.  Shall we overcome?

It is apparent that a plane can violate US airspace, land and be treated
> > courteously by immigration, US customs and other officials.
> > Please here is 35 cents, call your aunt Esme and we'll release you
until
> > your hearing.  They get a social security card,  a web of help from
the
> > Cuban Releif Fund, and yes that's the new one you see Sunday morning
>selling
> > newspapers on 104th. street and 127th. ave.  Justice is a travesty
and
>she
> > is blind but to us it replicates in the dishonest policy that
dominates
> > treatment of Haitian refugees.  Justice is forever denied to that
>'negrito'
> > from Haiti.  Shame on all of us.
> >
> > Ed, the below written piece is my reflection on our refugees and
Haiti.

> > Thanks!
> >
> > Fritz Monde
> >

> >                         'The Ugly American'
> >
> > The drama of the Haitian refugee mirrors Haitian society.  Haiti
lives
>in
> > uncertain times with an unpopular Administration, led by a President

>mired
> > in incertitude, ineptitude and missed opportunities.
> > What does the Haitian refugee want?  He wants the same thing as the
>Irish,
> > Italien and Jewish immigrant wanted.  The promise of a better life
and a
> > chance to exemplify themselves as contributing members of society.
> > What does the Haitian refugee receive?  He receives secret INS
policy,
>as
> > lethal as the gas used in Auschwitz.  He receives intimidation and
>expedited
> > hearings in English,   for illiterate and non-english speaking
migrants
> > and without legal representation.  He experiences humiliation,
>separation
>of
> > family members and imprisonment alongside murderers and rapist in
Dade
> > County jails.  Then, finally after fruitless months in Krome
Detention
> > Center, deportation.
> > How could the brother of the President of the United States not know

>about
> > the INS policy?
> > The problem of the refugee originates in the despair of Haiti.  A
>country
> > stagnated by political diviseness.  We as Haitians need to examine
>ourselves
> > and ask why our country continues in dire straits.  We are Haitian
>whether
> > we are indigenous or come from Palestine, Israel, France, the
countries
>of
> > Africa, Canada and the United States.  Haitian history is rich and
full
>of
> > the free man's ideals that fueled the fight for freedom in 1804.
But we
> [...]
> > We need to look at ourselves, Haitians.  The poor who risk life and
limb
> > venture the seas in search of life in the US, only to find the mean
end
>of
> > jackboot.  We need to look at ourselves, Haitians, to those of us
who
>are
> > well-heeled and live somewhere else other than earth.  We need to
>assemble
> > ourselves, the hard working Haitian in Haiti and abroad, who are
>educated
> > and laymen and have proficiency in all disciplines.  We are a
courageous
>and
> > ingenuous people.
> >         Haitians need to look in the mirror of life and realize that
for
> > once we must stand up together and be counted.
> > It is said the Haitian refugee spends about $2000 per head to take
> > clandestine trips.  Could not this money be better served to
influence
>party
> > politics positively?  Or build roads, homes, schools, or open
>cooperative
> > businesses?  Haiti is for Haitians, yet our national resolve does
not
>seek
> > the independence which can propel Haiti forward.  Rather, we expend
our
> > energy in becoming Boeing people and Boat people and come to the US,

>where
> > you're judged by the color of your skin and not by the content of
>character.
> > America will not change it's immigration policy toward Haitians.
> > White(dry) foot in, Black(wet) foot out will prevail.  As Haitians
our
>moral
> > obligation is to unite our differences under one flag, Haiti, and
free
> > ourselves from our own bondage and create a better life.
> > Then, the Haitian who risks the rough seas will stay home because he

>will
> > find opportunity.  The small entrepeneur will remain home and become
the
> > backbone of the economy.  The student studying overseas will come
home
> > help his country grow.  Only then will we be able to look at
ourselves,
> > reflection of one another, and say we have done something to change
the
> > course of our history.  The goal should be to bring Haiti into the
free
> > world where we can live and follow dreams.
> > In earnest I wonder if Haitians could, as the few hundred Jews who
did
>so
> > the other day, give up all they own.  Sell their cars, homes, etc..
and
> > return to Haiti.  Return, even though they know the country is in
>turmoil,
> > but return just the same.  What if 40,000 Haitians decided to leave
>France,
> > Canada, the United States and Africa and return to Haiti all at
once?
>What
> > would happen?  What change would occur?  Would this huge migration
be a
> > catalyst? I wonder?
> > Dreams are what we base our hopes on.  Fellow Haitian, what do you
dream
> > about Haiti?
> > As we see each Haitian that washes up on a Miami shore, remember
that it
>is
> > a loss for Haiti and for each Haitian who dies on a Miami shore,
they
> > reflect our national conscience.
> > Let us pray that we as Haitians can put aside our prejudices, money,
>color,
> > class and party politics to push for a new Haiti. And if the United
>States
> > wishes to join us in our resolve, they can, by making sure that each
> > American representative be made to read the book after which this
piece
>is
> > titled.  Then, go forth and do God's work together.

Carl, please tell me what your feeling are about these important issues
that we face each day ?

Fritz Monde, Miami, Florida
Tifito34@hotmail.com