13844: Honorat: re: why not now (fwd)

From: stanley honorat honorat <shonorat@hotmail.com>

bob,

in answer to your question: "why not now?", i think there are many reasons.
among many others are:

1-this government is currently facing a crisis of credibility which will, in
the best of circumstances, make it extremely difficult to unite the minimum
number of society sectors required to stabilize a chaotic country

2-the government does not possess the kind of legitimacy needed to affect
long term changes needed to control an economy that is now critical.

3-changes needed to create a sense of security (arrest of amiot metayer and
others guilty of political crimes, professionalizing the national police
force, etc) require political clout that this government no longer holds

4-resolution 822, which the government voted (through it's delegate to the
oas), is not being implemented

5-basic freedoms of human rights are not being guaranteed, ie-freedom of
press (9 journalists in gonaives are currently in hiding, etc), freedom of
expression (those who oppose the government are being attacked by government
supporters, etc

6-violations of the constitution by those who are there to guarantee it are
flagrant (see earlier posts of mine and others for specifics)

7-too many sectors in haiti have lost whatever faith they may have held in
the ruling group

8-the apparatus of power in haiti is currently in the possession of one man
and his group (police, parliament, judiciary, executive branch- and
therefore public funds, etc).
lastly, haiti right now is at a crossraods.  the debate we are having now is
such that we cannot know who is "right" in this case.  if we do nothing
(ie-allow this government to complete its term) and i am correct, the result
will be that you have a group (lavalas) that has had the time to entrench
itself into all of the hallways of power in this country, and at that time,
if and when we decide that it is finally time to act, it will be at the cost
of many innocent lives, not to mention lost time.
on the other hand, if you are correct, and there still is a change in
government, we will all have the opportunity to work so that this situation
is not repeated.  with all due respect, i would rather take my chances with
my solution.