14041: stanley honorat: ideas on current situation and response to dorce (fwd)

From: stanley honorat honorat <shonorat@hotmail.com>

in trying to qualify the current socio-political situation in haiti, we are
faced with a multitude of possibilities.  the apologists and supporters of
jba are adoment in saying that the proper transition of power (ie- elections
at regularly scheduled intervals) is the most important aspect of a
democracy.  Opponents are insisting that one president’s demise is not
necessarily an end to democracy.  in all of these discussions, we must come
to an agreement on the meaning democracy and the important aspects that
constitute one.
in saying that in a democracy, even if an elected leader has lost moral
leadership and legitimacy, he must complete his term because he was elected
i am reminded of a totally different situation that may provide an analogy
for us.  in our societies, parents are entrusted with the vital task of
raising children.  When a child is born, all responsibilities related to his
or her upbringing fall directly on the shoulders of the mother and the
father.  In the united states, if, at any time, a parent is found guilty of
abusing a child or has been found unfit in any other way, the privilege and
responsibility of raising said child is revoked by a larger authority figure
(in this case, the state).  On the same token, if a president (in a
democracy) is elected, yet has not satisfied the demands of his country, he
can be removed by the highest authority figure in this case (the people).
the choice is simple now.  there are two options: 1-those who see that jba
should finish his term at any cost and 2-those who feel that a change of
government is necessary if this country is to progress in any way.
somewhere along the line, one of these two scenarios will give way to the
other.  for haiti's sake, i hope that the future is brighter than the
present.
overlooked one portion of what i wrote.  i said lets POSTULATE on a few
things, and #5 dealt specifically with the option that she provided.  i
won't insult her intelligence and type the definition for the word.  i will
simply ask if she would choose to revoke my right as a haitian citizen to
abstain from helping in what i feel is the destruction of haiti.
furthermore, she started out by saying that she would wager something and
went on to deal with her previous statement as if it was a fact.  if you
want to know what my stance has always been towards jba, just ask and i will
tell you (as was stated in a popular movie, "assumption is the mother of all
f@#$ ups"- under siege 2, i believe)
as for the term "enemy of the state", i take offense to that because i have
made every sacrifice and have devoted my time and efforts to attempting to
make my country a better place.  you may disagree with my political beliefs
(which is your right) but that does not allow to insinuate anything about my
loyalty to my country without proof.
"aristide is not your enemy".  i beg to differ.  yes he is.  i don't hate
the man, but in a political sense, he is an enemy.  "longing for the old
ways..." once again you make assumptions as if you know me (see above for
the reference on assumptions)
"live by the sword..."  so true.  m. bertin died for something she felt was
important.  i will not discuss what those things were.  people die for what
they believe in, and i am not placed to judge what those causes are or their
significance.  i simply say that i will not support someone who i feel is
destroying what i love the most in this world (haiti).  i will continue to
do what i can to contain the damage i see.  if that means requesting his
resignation, i will continue to do so.  that is my right.
on a last note, everyone is telling those who oppose jba to stop in order to
avoid a civil war.  in the spirit of fairness, however, shouldn't these same
people see the flip side?  would jba rather have a civil war than resign?