16440: Kawolin: part 2

From: KawolinA@aol.com

My prior response was incomplete.

Why do Christian westerners respect Judaism, and Islam and so want to
disrespect Vodou?  Is it because it is the religion of a black people.  I
guess
it is our fault in part also.  When they show up with 5,000 gourdes in
their
pockets and start buying us water and food, we make them feel as if they
are
Christ embodied and doing miraculous deeds.  We still don't realize that
it is
a form of neo-colonialism, continuing to find ways to help/teach us to
hate
everything about us. In essence dehumanizing us.  It has been my
experience
that vodou has nothing to do with what's bad and evil.  And certainly was
a key
tool in rallying the Haitian slaves, strenthening their faith in their
abilities to fight and break the chains of slavery.
In fact, the individualist westerners can learn from vodou practitioners,
what
it really means to live with your neighbors as sisters and brothers:
sharing of
the little that you have; making your neighbors's needs and concerns
yours.
etc.