16488: Vishnusurf: Re: 16441: Beasley:Re: 16425: Cunningham: Christians vs Voodoo (fwd) Corbe... (fwd) Corbett adds

From: VISHNUSURF@aol.com

in all fairness to professor corbett, it is very important that "drivel" such
as that referred to here be posted.  the attitudes of evangelicals like those
at Bwa Kayman are very real and quite alive and well in haiti--and they are
actually on the rise! therefore, it is vital that we have such direct insight
into them, for how else could we effectively combat or critique them?.  i, for
one, appreciate the chance to read this stuff for myself. alo, chapo ba pou
prof kobet.  bay mesye yon break non!

==========

Thanks, for the kind note.  However, I do want to point out that I had
only one note suggesting I shouldn't have posted that note.  The general
response has been the one I think is more appropriate:  those who didn't
like the event and attitudes have written in great number to express their
views and give arguments to support their dissatisfaction.

I have always been deeply moved by the postions of both David Hume and the
famous English poet John Milton, who in the 18th century debate about free
speech, both defended the notion that included two important theses:

1.  We don't have absolute truth, so any view may be wrong.
2.  It is important to know of views that we find outrageously mistaken,
	since one of the best ways to learn from them is to refute them.

It is that sort of view of the importance of discussion and the need to
give reasons to support views rather than lashing out emotionally, that
has motivated the existence of this list.

Bob Corbett