18280: please post anonymously (fwd)

 The Police Commissariat in Gonaives has fallen to the Armee Cannibale
today, Thursday Feb.5, 2004.  The government forces/police were obliged to
retreat.  There may be dead...there may even be "many" dead.  There may be
wounded as well.  My informant was unsure about casualties.  Several
government buildings in Gonaives were burnt down during the course of the
day.  All state prisoners were liberated from the area prisons.  The Armee
Cannibale has gained ground and taken much of the city of Gonaives today.
Apparently they have also announced plans to take/burn down the home of the
government-appointed "Delegue de la Ville".  According to my informant on
the ground in Gonaives, most of the remaining civilians this evening in
Gonaives are heavily armed....or running away as fast as they can....or
scared for their lives.  My informant described the situation in Gonaives
this evening as "catastrophique, chaotique, dramatique".