18520: PIerre Jean: Re: 18483: charles: Fwd: 18418: Pierre Jean Re: 18406: ANDRE APAID IS HAITIAN (fwd)

From: Pierre Jean <pierrejean2004@yahoo.com>

Dear Philippe Charles:

I certainly did not mean to imply that ** you ** were
attacking Haitians of Arab origin in anyway. I
understood perfectly that you were quoting news
reports. I apologize if my message conveyed a
different meaning to your post.

As to Randall Robinson, he may not be Haitian but,
through his actions and though his wife's current
activities as a lobbyist for the Aristide government,
he certainly has a vested interest in defending the
Aristide regime.

I admired the work that Transafrica did, especially in
its advocacy of democracy and freedom in African
countries that were devoid of such. Therefore, I am
extremely surprised and saddened that neither Robinson
nor his wife have have the courage to realize that the
once-revered Aristide is no longer the same person who
preached and fought for a better future for all
Haitians.

Finally, the naturalization process in Haiti is
different from the US. (I am assuming that you reside
in the US.) I will try to explain the process in the
case of Andy Apaid, as best I understand it. However,
please make sure to check with legal experts in Haiti
on the subject.

When a Haitian citizen has a child who is born
overseas, he/she can declare that child to Haitian
authorities in Haiti, which confers Haitian
citizenship to the child. This is what many Haitians
who went to Africa in the late 50s, early 60s did for
their kids born in Congo-Kinshasa, Cameroon, Gabon,
etc. As the letter from Apaid's attorney suggests,
this is the procedure (albeit a late one) that Apaid's
father followed in order for his US-born son to gain
Haitian citizenship. As far as I know, there is
nothing illegal about that.

Judging from the dates, I assume that this happened
before the 1987 Constitution went into effect. But
only Apaid, his lawyers and the Haitian government can
truly answer that question.

Again, please check with legal experts well-versed
into Haitian law on this subject.

Pierre Jean