18519: Harvey: Re: 18498: Labrom: Re 18444 & 18441 -- Drugs in Haiti (fwd)

From: Sean Harvey <seanharvey@juno.com>

Ms Labrom,

Given my question, the offense you have taken surprises me, though I was interested to read about the (lack of a) DEA presence.

I was asking if anyone has explicated what role if any narcotrafficking has played in the political violence that's been going on in Haiti in recent years. I know that you're in the tourism industry and would prefer no one ever mention the words "narco" or "trafficking" (perhaps I can substitute the words "robo" and "playacting"), but I'm not passing a judgement on Haiti vis-a-vis the United States -- which as you rightly point out is the big cocaine consumer that provides drug money to traffickers across the hemisphere. I'm simply asking a question about what role the playacting of robotics has in this current mess.

Your criticism of the undermanned DEA presence in Haiti is well taken --and very interesting. Sounds like a major part of the problem right there. I have great respect for you and hope that I have offered no offense.

Sean