18531: (Chamberlain) re: 18522 etc. Aristide Foundation names (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

> Eveylne Dominique wrote:

> Haitians/Haitian-Americans take exception to the
condescending suggestion that such “important”
political figures simply forgot to remove their names
on a board that supports a specific political focus.

> It would be beneficial to all if those who no
longer take a stance with the Aristide Foundation for
Democracy remove their names and state when in fact
they had resigned, this to clear the record.

> Lastly, you are correct as to the need for
exactitude and the above step would certainly be a
start. We hope that you will give council to those you
are speaking of in your correspondence, “starting with
Congressman Barnes,” in ensuring that public records
reflect the correct positioning of those who lend
their names to political arenas.

> And, it is, as well, for that same reason that we
question the motivation of those who allow their names
to remain for a foundation that they do not believe
in, nor respect enough to follow and update as to
accuracy.

_____________

This is all very well, but how do you ensure that a request to be taken off
a list is acted upon?

Those names are priceless to the Foundation's international credibility.

If I was a top Foundation official, I'd make sure that, in time-honoured
fashion, I "never officially received" the request or that "yes, we intend
to change the list, but you must understand we're very short-staffed."  The
old tricks of any folks in power -- Haiti, US, UK, France, everywhere.

Much like COHA's quoting of Sen. Edward Kennedy, saying they are one of the
most credible, wonderful, justice-oriented NGOs in the US.  Sounds great,
but COHA has descended in recent years into incoherent ranting, and I can't
imagine Kennedy would want anything to do with them these days.  Perhaps
COHA can tell us when exactly Kennedy said that?  20, 25 years ago?  We are
not told.  I don't expect to be told.

        Greg Chamberlain