18532: Pierre Jean: Re: 18492: Esser: Re: 18453: Simidor: Give Haiti a chance (fwd)

From: Pierre Jean <pierrejean2004@yahoo.com>

I am always curious about statistical/quantitative
information on all things Haitian, so I went to the
website suggested by Esser to get the "right"
information on the elections.

Here are the numbers:

Parliamentary elections (May 2000)
Total Vote: 2,547,000
Registration: 4,245,384
Voter turnout: 60.5%

Presidential elections (November 26, 2000)
Total Vote: 2,547,000
Registration: 4,245,384
Voter turnout: 60.5%

Incredible! Not only did the total number of
registered voters remain unchanged, but the number of
voters who actually bothered to go to the polls was
EXACTLY the same as well. What are the odds of that
happening? I will not even mention the fact that the
number of actual voters is a clean multiple of 1,000.
Simply stunning!!!

I certainly wouldn't bet my life on these "official"
OAS figures.

Pierre Jean