18533: (Chamberlain) US-Haiti (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

   WASHINGTON, Feb 12 (AP) -- Secretary of State Colin Powell expressed
disappointment Thursday in the government of Haitian President
Jean-Bertrand Aristide but said he does not see "regime change" as the
solution to the violence in the Caribbean nation.
   Powell recalled that instability in Haiti 11 years ago prompted tens of
thousands of Haitians to flee on boats for the United States.
   "We'll do everything we can not to have that situation again," Powell
told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
   Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., warned that the violence could lead to chaos
in Haiti. He said the Bush administration was pursuing a hands-off policy.
   Powell denied the suggestion and said he has been dealing with the
situation on a daily basis.
   He said he planned to discuss Haiti at a meeting Friday that was to
include Cesar Gaviria, secretary general of the Organization of American
States, and Bill Graham, Canada's foreign minister, as well as
representatives from Caribbean countries that are trying to work out a
peaceful solution jointly with the OAS.
   The United States has strongly supported that effort.