18579: Marina: Relevance of Haitian Citizenship (fwd)

From: Marina <marinawus@yahoo.com>

To All:

I am trying to understand what is the relevance of
Andy Apaid's citizenship to the discussion we are
having about pro-lavalas or against lavalas?

I would like to understand because I am a
Haitian-American, born outside of Haiti but of Haitian
parents. Does that mean that I cannot be concerned and
even involved in what is going on in Haiti? That I
have no voice in the discussion?

We all know that there are presently (as in the past)
many members of the Haitian government that hold a
green card or have a US passport. On many occasions on
this list, there has been discussions of Mr. Neptune
being a U.S. Citizen (passport # was published). I do
not see any of the lavalas apologists on this list
discussing his right to be PM (Prime Minister).

Anyway, that is an irrelevant point.

In addition, why are we not discussing the policies
that lavalas intends to implement in the next two
years will be in power and how they plan on building
concensus for a new government. My understanding is
that if they want to move forward or ATTEMPT to regain
some sort of credibility, they should be OPENLY
discussing who they have in mind to be the next PM and
who will make up its next government.

As for the opposition, what are/is the plan(s) for
rebuilding Haiti and making sure that they have a say
in the next government, senate...?

The problem with Haitian is that like they have
maintained a personality cult. That is why many people
say that Mr. Aristide sees himself as the govenment
("l'etat c'est moi" quote taken from a recent post).
Mr. Apaid is at the forefront of the 184 Coalition but
he is NOT the 184 group.

It is also time that we started hearing from a younger
generation of Haitians on both sides because I believe
that they will be have a different vision of HAITI in
the next 20-50 years than the generation that
preceded.

Marina