18847: Laleau: Re: 18783: Allen: Aristide's mea culpa

From: NLaleau@aol.com

For one thing, the 5000 man "trained" police force is distributed over the
entire country--a country with unbelievably horrible roads. Attempting to
mass
the 5000 or even a significant part of them in one territory leaves the
rest
unattended. And they are not well-trained or even well-armed, I believe.
And
I'm not convinced they even know how to drive very well, assuming their
vehicles can run at all.  The "rebels" are at least as well-equipped as
the
police--and there are probably more of them at any one place than there
are
police. They can fight the kind of war the vietcong fought and that seems
to be
what they are doing.
--nancy laleau