18950: donnasteiner: Re: Re-opening the Border (fwd)

From: donnasteiner@comcast.net

I am new to this web site and not sure how to get information out to
everyone at once, and to ask support from everyone at once, so I am starting
with this and would appreciate guidance.

I work with an organization that does volunteer work in Ouanaminthe every
summer, and in 2002 I lived in Haiti for a while to locate land to buy where
we will be building a clinic and a "dorm" for our own volunteers and
doctors, nurses, dentists and other medical personnel.

Ouanaminthe is one of the major controlled border points with the Dominican
Republic, the town on the DR side is Dajabon.  You have all by now read that
this border has been closed.

What this means is that the few people of Ouanaminthe who had some means of
support by purchasing and/or selling goods in Dajabon cannot do either.
Food and medicine purchased in Dajabon supplied the market in Ouanaminthe.
Now there is no food or medicine to buy.

This morning I spoke with a Haitian man who has supported our group's
efforts.  Rioters are moving up and down the streets of Ouanaminthe looting
and burning.  Thieves took the only money in the house (a pittance) from his
wife -- this was the family's food money.  Luckily she was not beaten.  The
home of anyone known to have money (on whichever side of the political
fence) is targetted and being ransacked and in many cases burned.  Stolen
goods will soon be the only barter for food, such little as there is.  The
best pharmacy in town has been destroyed and burned.  The car of the Pastor
with whom we worked this summer, who has built a school and who feeds 130
orphans or impoverished children every day, was burned, and his home
ransacked.  In fact any orphanage or help group no longer has access to food
for their children.

The alternate supply point for food for Ouanaminthe was Cap Haitien, which
itself cannot get food from the Artibonite.  The only food in Ouanaminthe is
that in the tiny stores, or "boutiques" (think tiny, tiny deli), which as of
this writing is probably gone from theft anyway.  Even if there were food to
be had, and we could transfer money down there so that people could buy it,
the banks have now closed.

If I have this right, the Domican government justifies the closing of this
border so that Haitian exiles cannot return to Haiti to join the rebel
forces, and so that Haitians refugees not pour into the DR.

Let me say that anyone who wants to get into the DR has only to travel a few
kilometers in either direction of Dajabon and cross over -- the Massacre
River, which in part defines the border, is mostly just knee deep.  The
border is not defined, not fenced, and not heavily guarded (or at least did
not used to be).  On one of our trips to Capotille a number of us took a
walk on a path into the hills and in talking with a man we met found that we
had crossed into the DR.  So much for keeping fleeing Haitians out.  People
are going to seek out food and safety and there is a way to do it without
crossing the bridge from Ouanaminthe to Dajabon.

It is imperative that the border between Oanaminthe and Dajabon be
re-opened.  Food and medical supplies need to be delivered to these people.
Humanitarian organizations need access, and a peace keeping force needs to
be installed.

So my question is, to whom do I (we) appeal to achieve this?  Where do we
apply pressure, raise our voices, so that the government of the United
States, the UN, and all humanitarian nations and organizations of the region
and the world stop this folly?  I have never been involved in a "lobbying"
effort of my own before and I don't know where to start.  My only thought so
far has been to write to those people (Representatives, Senators, etc.) who
have been named in various articles to support their efforts.  And of course
I am witing this email.

If anyone has any practical advice on whom to approach, how to make noise,
how to apply pressure, and how to get aid to the people who need it please,
please let me know.

Thank you,

Donna Steiner