19164: Pierre Jean: On the Relevance of the Opposition (Was Re: 19086: Harvey: Re: 19074: (Craig) NYTimes Editorial: Hour of the Gunmen in Haiti (fw d) (fwd)) (fwd)

From: Pierre Jean <pierrejean2004@yahoo.com>

Sean Harvey wrote:
>  Who cares at this point what the (non-military)
> opposition does or does
>  not agree to? Could there possibly be anything more
> irrelevant?

I have puzzled over that same question for a while
now. There is so much focus on a diplomatic solution
between Aristide and his "brothers" (his own word)
from the "opposition pacifique" that it is as if
Philippe, Chamblain & Co. are just a minor
distraction.

People get so worked up over the terms of the
agreement that they don't pay attention to what will
happen AFTER an agreement is reached, if that happens
at all. Do you folks really believe that these rebels
will just go away? Do you believe, as I read in one of
the foreign press articles, that a 1,000-man
international peacekeeping force will be enough to
calm things down? Think again.

As much as I would like it to be otherwise, I don't
see any other issue right now than an armed
confrontation between the rebels and the police that
is left in Port-au-Prince. The time for diplomacy has
passed. Both the opposition and Aristide blew their
chances, and a third actor, as unsavory as it is,
seems to be calling the shots.

When the Steele Foundation leaves Aristide and pulls
out of Haiti, when the rats start abandoning ship (as
Jean-Claude Jean-Baptiste, the Toto Constant of
Lavalas, supposedly did yesterday) you can be sure
that the final confrontation will have started. I just
cannot picture these foreign mercenaries holding up
their end of the contract.

FOOTNOTE: A certified criminal and FRAPH supporter by
the name of Bernard Sansaricq has written a really
"touching and heart-wrenching" bio of Jodel Chamblain
which would seem to explain his hatred of Aristide.
This bio has been circulating on the Internet. DON'T
BELIEVE A WORD OF IT! The exact same story had been
circulated about Boss Peint (for those of you who
remember who that is) to explain his criminal behavior
during Papa Doc's rule.