19656: Lemieux: CNN: Aristide pressed on next moves (fwd)

From: JD Lemieux <lxhaiti@yahoo.com>

CNN
3/2/2004

Aristide pressed on next moves

BANGUI, Central African Republic --Claims by Haiti's ousted
leader that U.S. officials forced him from power have
disturbed his hosts in the Central African Republic, who
are pressing him to consider another country of exile.

Jean-Bertrand Aristide says he was forced out of Haiti in a
"real coup d'etat" led by the United States, in what he
called a "modern way to have a modern kidnapping."

"I was told that to avoid bloodshed I'd better leave," he
said in an interview on CNN Monday.

The claims were dismissed by U.S. Secretary of State Colin
Powell and others in the Bush administration.

France, who has been working with the U.S. on the Haiti
crisis, meanwhile said it was "protecting" the former
Haitian president in the Central African Republic but
insisted it did not control his movements there.

"At present, I would say he is being protected rather than
imprisoned," French Defense Minister Michele Alliot-Marie
told Europe 1 radio.

But Aristide's statements did create diplomatic worries for
his new host country, where he is staying in the official
residence of President Francois Bozize.

"The authorities have already called on Aristide to remain
calm, to stop making accusations against America," Foreign
Minister Charles Wenezoui told The Associated Press.

"We fear that this kind of declaration compromises
relations between the Central African Republic and the
United States."

Aristide and the president's ministers were expected to
discuss plans for the ousted Haitian leader's final asylum
plans in an as-yet-unknown third country later Tuesday,
Communications Minister Parfait Mbaye said.

"Bozize will come and deal with this problem of settlement
today and in the days to come," Mbaye told AP.

South Africa has said it has agreed in principle to accept
Aristide, but has not received a formal request. Like the
Central African Republic, it was thought to be troubled by
the political and diplomatic problems that could arise from
offering asylum.

"Diplomatic contacts are still going on to find Aristide
another country of asylum," said Wenezoui, the foreign
minister, without elaborating.

Central African Republic's Foreign Ministry said it would
investigate Aristide's charges that he was "forced to
leave" by U.S. forces.

"Concerning Aristide's declarations, we are going to see --
and take appropriate measures," Wenezoui said, without
elaborating.

Powell said Aristide's claims were "absurd."

"He was not kidnapped. We did not force him on to the
airplane. He went onto the airplane willingly, and that's
the truth," the secretary of state said in Washington.

Aristide described the American "agents" as "good, warm,
nice," but said he had no rights during his 20-hour flight
to Africa.

Meanwhile in Haiti, rebels occupied the national police
headquarters but kept away from the U.S.-guarded
presidential palace after their convoy entered the capital
Monday to the cheers of thousands celebrating Aristide's
ousting.

Dozens of insurgents packing an eclectic array of weapons
dating back to World War II swaggered around an up-market
hotel where rebel leader Guy Philippe met members of the
political coalition that opposed Aristide. He was joined by
rebel commander Louis-Jodel Chamblain.

International aid agencies Tuesday said the chaotic
situation in Haiti following the president's ousting had
halted the distribution of vital food and medical supplies.

Copyright 2004 CNN.