20494: (Arthur) Haiti's interim government - 17 March - Haiti Support Group (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

Haiti's interim government - 17 March - Haiti Support Group press release

Haiti's interim government was announced on 16 March and will be installed
today, 17 March. While we await the reaction of organisations representing the
85% of Haiti's population which is composed of peasant farmers, informal sector
workers and manual workers, the Haiti Support Group makes the following
comments:

Although we were led to believe that the interim government would be
broad-based and inclusive, it does appear to represent rather a narrow sector of
society.

Interim Prime Minister, Gerard Latortue, has said that his Cabinet does not
include any representatives of political parties, implying that the Lavalas
Family Party has not been discriminated against. However, we are obliged to point
out that interim Foreign Affairs Minister, Yvon Simeon, was the Democratic
Convergence's representative in Europe.

We also note that the interim Minister of Justice, Bernard Gousse, is
described by Radio Metropole as an active member of the Group of 184.

Perhaps our greatest concern surrounds the nomination of ex-General Herard
Abraham, the former head of the Armed Forces of Haiti, as interim Minister of
the Interior. Abraham has already publicly declared his position in favour of
the re-instatement of the Haitian Army.

In addition, without wishing to prejudge those nominated, who may perform
their tasks in an admirable fashion, the Haiti Support Group notes a
preponderance of individuals with close ties with international organisations. While this
experience may be useful at a time when increased foreign aid is expected, we
should point out that the United Nations and its Bretton Woods Institutions
have been very active in Haiti for many decades without making any discernible
progress with the country's social or economic development. We note that
interim Prime Minister, Gerard Latortue, worked for UNIDO from 1972-1994, that
interim Minister of Finance, Henri Bazin, has worked as UN consultant, that interim
Minister of Health, Josette Bijoux, has worked for the World Health
Organisation, and that since August 2003, interim Minister of Commerce, Danielle St.
Lot has been Director of Training for the controversial USAID-funded, community
radio development programme, RAMAK.

Finally, we note that three existing ministries - Environment, Haitians
Living Abroad, and Culture - have been downgraded to secretaries of state, and we
are concerned that this means these three areas will not be accorded the
importance, or budgetary support, that they require. While there may be a case for
cuts in public expenditure, we would insist that these arguments are better put
to those proposing the re-instatement of the Haitian Army.

This email is forwarded as a service of the Haiti Support Group.

See the Haiti Support Group web site:
www.haitisupport.gn.apc.org

Solidarity with the Haitian people's struggle for justice, participatory
democracy and equitable development, since 1992.