21835: LeGraceRE: 21803: lyall on rice in hayti (fwd)

From: Legrace Benson <legrace@twcny.rr.com>

Re: Lyalls on rice.  Two points may elicit further information from experts
in import/export figures and for use of rice and pitimi. Without statistics
I offer the following:  My understanding from rice farmers in the Les
Cayes-Aquin region as well as in Artibonit as early as spring of 1991 was
that they were not able to sell their product as cheaply as the rice from
the US, which is heavily subsidized. If the cheaper imported rice has indeed
reduced the Haitian market-share , followed by a subsequent rise in price,
would this be a factor?  Second, pitimi has significantly less nutritive
value than rice. To get the most from your bowl, you'd choose rice.  I hope
someone with statistics on both will add their facts to our opinions.