22557: Mambo Racine responding again to spelling of "Mambo" - Re: 22524:

From: Racine125@aol.com

>From: Docteed@aol.com
>
> ...idiosyncratic spelling can no longer
>be
>acceptable, as Guy Antoine is trying so hard to point out.  It has nothing
>do with whether a person is a legitimate priestess

It has nothing to do with whether the person is a Creole linguist either - the fact is that the word is pronounced MAM-bo, both "m's" are pronounced.  Come to Jacmel!  Point at me.  Ask, "Who is that woman?"  Most people here know me, they will say to you, "Mambo Kati", MAM-bo KA-ti.  The "th" sound they can't pronounce, but the M's, certainly.

I think it's kind of funny that the same people who are trying to torture the word "Mambo" are the same ones who want to make "Bois Caiman" into "Bwa Kay Iman" and because "iman" sounds like "imam", claim that this is proof of Islamic influence in Vodou!  Academic "study" of Vodou is very, very political, and people use things like spellings to declare which "team" they are on, that's all.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html