22563: orenstein: RE: 22542: Arthur: Re: All recent posts on Mambo Racine (fwd)

From: katie orenstein <katie@orenstein.com>

I agree with Arthur that the issue of rape in Haiti is worth more
discussion. Two things:

If I recall correctly,  in May 1998 there was an attempt to ammend Haitian
law to better protect women: several dozen  women's organizations met with
parliamentarians and proposed changes to laws that they considered
discriminatory--one proposed change being the classification of rape as a
crime against the person rather than as a crime against honor. I think they
also proposed a new law concerning violence against women, as well as one
decriminalizing adultery, and changes to the Family Code.  What happened to
these initiatives?

Also,  I have in my notes that a study was done in 1998,  by the Haitian
Center for Research and Action for the Promotion of Women, which documented
widespread rape and violence against women.  I dont' have the study itself;
but in light of the current discussion, thought I'd post this information in
case someone else can access the study.  (If so, perhaps they can share some
of the findings with the list).

Katie Orenstien