22887: girard: RE: 22829: Slavin: Toussaint Question (fwd)

From: philippe girard <pg245091@hotmail.com>

Dear Corbetteers,

I am not sure I am an "esteemed historian" but here the answered to the
Toussaint-slavery question, translated from Pluchon's biography (p 57).

"toussaint was manumitted in 1776 at the young age of 33, and in 1779 he rented
a plot of 15 hectares, along with the 13 slaves that were tied to it, from his
son-in-law, Philippe Jasmin Desir, also a free man of color." The footnote
refers to Debien-Menier-Fouchard's Toussaint Louverture avant 1789, Notes
d'histoire coloniale no 34 (1977).

Philippe R. Girard
Assistant Professor of History, McNeese State University

Lake Charles, LA 70609
Kaufman 122H
Work phone: (337) 475-5198
Work e-mail: girard@mail.mcneese.edu