22884: LScottPHt: Re: 22876: LScottPHt: Re: 22873: Kathleen: AP article on clearing out mer... (fwd)

From: LScottPht@aol.com
    clearing out mer...

I just wanted to reply to those of you sending me personal emails pretending
to think they know what side I am on. First of all, I am neither left-winged
or right-winged. I am a documentary photographer who photographs what I see and
tries to help innocent people no matter what side they are on. I have given
away a number of my Haiti photographs for free to non profit organizations that
are trying to help the people of Haiti. I can't help it that the people I
interviewed told me about the atrocities that happened via Aristide people. I
just didn't happen to meet anyone that was pro-Aristide and had witnessed
atrocities done by the opposition or the rebels, and believe me, I interviewed a
number of people including the Red Cross, pastors both foreign and Haitian, street
people, ex-pats, citizens of Gonaives, Cap Haitien, Port-au-Prince, Les
Cayes, and Hinche. All of them had horrible things done to them via the police and
chimere. It's not my fault what they said. That doesn't mean that I don't
think that things are happening on the other side to the Lavalas people. I am sure
they are. I also can't help that I am friends with the rebels. They treated
and continue to treat me well, and I have not witnessed them killing anyone
just to kill them. Now, I am sure there are some rebels who do that, but I
haven't met them or seen that. That is all I am saying. Also, that doesn't mean that
I would not be friends with a Lavalas person just because most of my friends
support the opposition. I choose my friends based upon what's in their heart
and not based upon their political beliefs. Anytime I write about something
it's because it is something that either I saw or a first-hand account from
someone who had something done to them. I just want, first and foremost, for Haiti
to end this cycle of violence on both sides or Haiti will never get better. I
love the Haitian people and the country and yes, I do try and actually help
with my photographs which is why I don't make any money in this industry. So
please, to those of you who are trying to ruin my business and me, just stop
presuming you know me and what I am about. I would give my last dollar to someone
in need and that is just that.

Leslie Spurlock
<A HREF="http://www.pbase.com/lscottpht/haiti";>PBase (Haiti Images)</A>
<A HREF="http://americanphotojournalist.com/member.php?user=lscotthpht";>