22895: Justins: Re: 22884: LScottPHt: Re: 22876: LScottPHt: Re: 22873: Kathleen: AP article on clearing out mer... (fwd)

From: justins <justins@alacrityisp.net>

> I can't help it that the people I
> interviewed told me about the atrocities that happened via Aristide
people.

How do you know the people you interviewed were telling
the truth?  Many
people, especially outside of PAP, are forced to say these
things because
the rebels are the law.  An acquiantance of mine was
interviewing people
talking about the "atrocities" committed by the
"chimeres," and they
privately told him that they were lying because "We have
to live here."  In
other words, they were saying what those in charge WANTED
them to say.  Of
course, you would never hear something like this if you're
traveling with
the god damn rebels.

> I  just didn't happen to meet anyone that was pro-Aristide and had
witnessed
> atrocities done by the opposition or the rebels

Gee, I wonder why?  Why wouldn't Lavalas partisans risk
their lives by
coming out of hiding to be interviewed by someone who is
traveling with the
rebels and toasting champagne with them?  I can't imagine
why anyone would
be coy about sharing the misdeeds of the rebels with you.
 That one really
boggles my imagination.

> All of them had horrible things done to them via the police and
> chimere. It's not my fault what they said. That doesn't mean that I don't
> think that things are happening on the other side to the Lavalas people. I
am sure
> they are.

Leslie, anywhere from three to five thousand people were
slaughtered in the
three year period when your rebel friends were in power
during the early
1990s.  Do you know how many people were killed under the
allegedly brutal
regime of President Aristide?  I'll give you a hint:  NOT
THAT MANY.  The
recent insurgency has thus far claimed AT LEAST a thousand
lives, as the
numerous reports that are available document (none of
which you have read,
I'm sure).

> I also can't help that I am friends with the rebels. They treated
> and continue to treat me well, and I have not witnessed them killing
anyone
> just to kill them.

Do you think they would LET you see something like that?
 Are you really
that naive?  You are a white, American journalist!  Do you
expect them to
say, "Okay, here are the twelve bodies of the people who
summarily executed
last night.  Why don't you take some photographs?"  And so
what if they
"treat you well?"  Of course they're going to treat you
well!  You go around
talking about what great "freedom fighters" they are!
 You're a great PR
tool, as far as they're concerned.

> I love the Haitian people and the country and yes, I do try and actually
help
> with my photographs which is why I don't make any money in this industry.
So
> please, to those of you who are trying to ruin my business and me, just
stop
> presuming you know me and what I am about. I would give my last dollar to
someone
> in need and that is just that.

I have talked with Cassey Auguste's sister.  I listened to
her choke up
while she told me about her little brother's murder.  I
heard how desperate
she sounded when she described how the State Department
wasn't doing
anything to help her.  I wanted so badly to help her get
her story out,
which is why I wrote about it so many times.  This is when
you contacted me,
thinking you had a photograph of her brother's body.  You
told me not to use
it without your permission.  You also said you wanted to
sell your
photographs and your stories to me.

Now you're coming on here, calling me a liar, and saying
you only care about
helping people and don't do anything for the money.
 Excuse me if I'm a bit
skeptical.