23295: Gosser: Children and Death in Haiti (fwd)

From: Dr. Rich Gosser <rgosser@hisurfer.net>

Bob,

I got the following inquiry from a student at the college where I'm
teaching.  I don't know whether it's appropriate to distribute this sort of
thing to the list, but if it is could you send it?  The student's name and
email follows.  Thanks!

Rich Gosser

  I was recently given an assignment in my child development class to write
a paper about the impact of death on children.  As I was doing research for
the paper, I was unable to find cultural research.  I was hoping to find
some articles about children from the Third World and their conception's of
death since they face it everyday.  I thought it would make for an
interesting comparison to see how a Haitian child's perception of death
differed from that of an American child's.  So, I am interested in their
outlook on death of family, friends, and themselves.  I didn't know if you
knew of any sources that would be of help or if you knew of interviews that
have been done with the children.

Reply to:  Nicole   n_gebadlo_03@hotmail.com
Or to rgosser@hisurfer.net