23659: (reply) Morse: (reply) Maxine Waters and political prisoners (fwd)

From: OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com

 Its difficult for me to defend a government I don't know, but I feel that
 the interim Haitan government will be radicalized and the former Haitian
 army will be empowered if the shooting and attacks coming from the
 Lavalas camp don't stop. Once the shooting stops, issues such as
 political prisoners and justice can be addressed. Just as importantly,
 economic issues can also be addressed in a more stable environment. Armed
 confrontation is a lose/lose situation for all concerned. We have a
 window of opportunity here but level heads must prevail. The Brazilians
 and Chileans have shown a willingness to search for a political
 resolution rather than a violent resolution to the problems facing Haiti
 and we should all be taking advantage of that.

Richard Morse